2.10.2020

At First Glance


A visitor to my Kentucky acre might believe this curly willow to be dead. 
At first glance, that's understandable. 
"Just cut that down and make room for something new," 
my visitor might say and donate a casual kick. 


But, the gardener knows better than any visitor. 


Time and attention have been invested in this tree—hours of staking, 
pruning, and watering. The considerate gardener knows that 
it's a mistake to hoist or chop in haste. 

What's true in the garden also proves trustworthy in the greater arenas of life:
parenting
friendships
aging
career

So, wait a while. Slow down and look the other way. 
Sometimes, not every time, but occasionally 
 when you look back, you'll find those longed-for signs of life.

------------

Learn how to root curly willow branches here.  
I just cut a long "whip" and leave it in a bucket or a tall vase of water 
until a decent root ball forms. 



2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said! How comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has invested time and energy into something that looks completely dead right now. Thank you for the encouragement not to hack thoughtlessly, but rather look away for a bit and return with fresh eyes. You caught me right as I was lifting the ax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thank you so much! No thoughtless hacking for either of us--no way.
      :0)
      S

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to send your thoughts my way. I love to hear from you!